Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Washing Greasy Fleece

This is the stuff that I skirted out...dirty eh?!?
 Getting that little bit of stuff out of the fleece took several minutes...but I read it had to be done before the fleece could hit the water or else it would get tangled and become matted.
Steaming hot water...160 F.
 I had to go down to the basement to adjust the temperature of the water heater and then wait for the water to get hot.  I had a thermometer to make sure.
Letting the fleece soak.
 Raw greasy fleece cannot be agitated...it takes a LOT of soap and VERY hot water.  It must just soak in the hot water for half an hour and then put into rinse water of the same temperature or else the felting process will begin.
It still looks dirty!!!
So....here is my washed fleece.  One would never know it had been washed except to see how dirty the water was.  Not to worry.  The dye bath will get the fleece cleaner....I hope!